The purpose of the RTC Programme is to increase the number of persons who know their sero-status and to channel HIV positive persons into quality care services in Mulago and Mbarara National referral hospitals. Below are some of the features of the RTC Programme.
- HIV Testing and counseling is routinely offered to all patients as part of other services provided.
- Patients reserve the right to accept or decline the test.
- Declining the test does not compromise provision of other services that the patient requires.
- Care for HIV positive patients is initiated immediately after diagnosis, with referral for follow up care.
- Patients tested for HIV are counseled to avoid HIV transmission (HIV positives) and to reduce the risk of acquiring HIV (HIV negatives).